Thursday, October 31, 2013

Kita-Shirakawa Miwa

I'm just back from a few very busy but wonderful weeks in Japan and thought I had better start adding a few posts before my blog falls into a black hole...  life is rather full at the minute so I will jot down a few detail lacking notes to get us started - with a plan to return to it later.  (it's a great idea in theory...). Better than nothing I suppose. Please forgive my slapdash scratchings!

While the detail may be sketchy for the new few (hundred) posts do feel free to drop me a line if you have specific questions and I shall do my best to get back to you in a timely manner. 

Onwards and upwards....


I had very high expectations of 'Miwa' after a mighty fine, but simple, lunch earlier in the year. Our dinner was good, but not mind-blowing. Perhaps expectation was the killer.  I'd try it again - but possibly  just A la carte next time instead of the set menu. 
These were the dishes in order (I think the cost was around 4000y pp) - a starter plate above, sashimi below. 
Followed by a broth with hamo (conger eel), eggplant and mushrooms (below)
The fried course was tempura oysters (below)
Then came grilled fish - one in saikyo miso, one salt grilled (below). Green maple leaves and orange persimmons leaves signalling the end of summer and heading into Autumn.
Then  came the ochazuke - rice/broth/condiments (below and initial image).
And dessert - ice cream with "purin" sauce - otherwise known as a mashed up creme caramel over ice cream... a little disappointing. Although their "purin" on its own is very good and you can take it away in cute little jars.

(hint for technophobes - Please use google translate on the Japanese link above)

No comments:

Post a Comment